Friday, August 3, 2007

Resistance: Fall of Man ( 1st Person Shooter)

Game Score & Comments: 8/10, Good PS3 Launch Title
The image “http://uk.gizmodo.com/resistance-fall-of-man.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.

Resistance was the launch title that everyone was talking about. It was suppose to be the Gears of War killer. I may be a good 8 months late but how does it stack up to Gears? Is it a game worth buying a now $500 system for? Read on!

What if during World War II giant creatures had attacked in London? While the game follows the trend of War World II it does it with a twist and it's one of the few recent shooting games where there is a ton of cut scenes. Plot isn't godly but it does the job well and it offers at least some closure.

I'm by no means a graphics whore but dang this game looks nice. Pictures do not do this game justice. Character models look good and while the game is super hyper detailed, it's detailed enough and is moderately interactive. I loved putting holes in windows ECT.

The sound in the game was okay. Voice work was excellent and really got the job done. Sound effects are good and I could tell from the sounds of the guns to know which I was firing. The music didn't do anything for me but it was pleasant enough I guess.

Control in the game is very easy. L2 is duck, R1 is shoot, hold R2 to switch weapons. X is jump, square is reloaded and circle is to throw a grenade. It's all easy and I had no problems adjusting to how it all played.

Resistance is your typical first person shooter. To be honest if you've played one then you know how they will all play. Resistance it slightly different than the current normal first person shooter.

The game is split up into 30 or so levels. They are fairly long, kind of linear with some open paths to venture off to find ammo, health or reports. I do like that at times you are given different options of routes to go. Allows for you to sneak up on the enemy.

One thing a gamer should know before playing this game is that it is tough. The first level alone caused me many problems. This was due to no health items or no recharging health. I was seriously worried.

Thankfully the second levels not only gives you healing items to pick up and it allows for your health to recharge, the catch is that your health bar is split into 4 or so segments. If you let an entire segment vanish it can only be regained via a health pick up. Your health only recharges for that bar it's in. This makes the game a little tougher and really makes you keep an eye on your health.

The next thing I should mention is that the AI is pretty smart. They will hunt you down. They will change their tactics and they will counter fire like they should. And all of this was on the easiest setting. The game really wants to keep you on your toes.

The thing is though that as long as you pay attention, take cover. Wait out situations until you can attack then it won't be so tough but it took me a few times to get into that kind of gaming. You really won't win with run and gun tactics.

The features some pretty interesting guns. I liked how each gun offered two types of attacks. I found that I tried to save the more powerful stuff for when I was in a tight situation. But it also isn't your typical gun selection but it isn't too hard to figure it all out.

The game is rather long and tough so a number of attempts on some stages will extend the games length even more. Not only that but the game offers on-line play. Sadly I wasn't able to access that feature at this time so I'll have to get back to that at a later date.

Resistance was the best game at launch according to almost every critic and site. While I find the game to be really good, I don't think it deserved game of the year or anything. I think my only problem with the game was that it wasn't all that interesting. And by that I mean the game play itself. It's very basic at its core and even though it offers some new ways of looking at the situations before you, it really isn't anything all that new. Still it's an excellent title for the PS3, and will keep you hooked for a good time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment